- “Why don't I get Beth and we'll go out for ice cream?”
- —The last great idea that will ever be had in this garage.[src]
Diane Sanchez is the ex-wife of Rick Sanchez, the mother of Beth Sanchez before she became Beth Smith, the maternal grandmother of Summer Smith and Morty Smith, and the ex-mother-in-law of Jerry Smith.
She appeared in a memory projection in "The Rickshank Rickdemption". She and her daughter Beth are both killed by a bomb sent by another Rick.
The manner in which Rick denies being driven by a "totally fabricated backstory" suggests that the flashback was a ruse to fool his interrogator, indicating that the cause of Diane's passing remains ambiguous in reality. However, in Morty Dinner Rick Andre, Diane is referenced to by Mr. Nimbus, to which Rick angrily shoots it down as him establishing a canonical backstory, confirming that Diane is in fact, Mrs. Sanchez
When Rick was being held in a Galactic Federation prison, Cornvelious Daniel went into Rick's memories, via a brain-link, to learn how Rick became a criminal. While Daniel was present in Rick's memories, he witnessed a flashback in which a young woman named Diane Sanchez was the wife of Rick Sanchez and the mother of Beth Smith. In that flashback, another Rick from the future vaporized Diane and Beth with a bomb, to punish Rick. Diane appeared to enjoy her husband Rick's scientific work and seemed very patient and understanding, with no reference to either a failing marriage or an extreme concern about safety. This serves to indicate that even if Diane was a real person, her personality may have been altered by Rick for the sake of his "totally fabricated backstory."
- Rick maintains a similar appearance as a younger person via Simple Rick in "Tales From the Citadel". This supports the possibility that the real Mrs. Sanchez may have resembled Diane to an extent.
- In the episode "Rick Potion #9," Rick declares himself to have been "stranded in a failing marriage," which is possibly a hint surrounding the nature of his relationship with Diane.
- This possibility is given further credence by "Star Mort Rickturn of the Jerri", where one of the memories Rick is seen uploading in the brain of Beth's clone shows child Beth hugging her mother, who looks like Diane seen from the back.
- Mr. Nimbus refers to Rick's wife by name as "Diane" in "Mort Dinner Rick Andre," confirming that this was indeed the name of Rick's wife. He also says that she is dead, though of course it's unclear if he simply believes she is dead. While this did confirm her name, it remains unknown how much of her earlier appearance in Season 3 was real and how much was a fabrication by Rick in his fake memory to trick his interrogators.
- Diane's only presence in the show (thus far) has been through references and flashbacks.