"Mort Dinner Rick Andre" is the first episode of the fifth season of Rick and Morty. It is the 42nd episode of the series overall. It premiered on June 20, 2021. It was written by Jeff Loveness and directed by Jacob Hair.
It's a busy night at the Smith house as Rick's nemesis pays a visit and Morty invites a girl over. Then some stuff happens with a portal in the garage.
A mortally injured Rick is carried by Morty in their escape from a warring dimension. However, their ship and its controls are damaged beyond repair, and Rick passes out from his wounds before he can fix it. Realizing they're about to die either through re-entry or by the impact, Morty decides to call Jessica and confess his feelings for her, blaming the timing for not doing it sooner. However, Jessica reveals that she was interested in Morty for some time now, and asks to visit his house to watch a movie. Revitalized by this revelation, Morty tries to regain control of the ship, which he does at the last second, but he hits a palm tree that catapults him back into the Gulf of Mexico. Despite the nature of his wounds, Rick wakes up and sees where they landed, and in a panic, tries to flee with Morty, but is too late as his old arch-nemesis, Mr. Nimbus, appears and cries foul at Rick for violating an ancient treaty.
Back at the Smith Residence, Rick is frustratingly preparing the table for dinner between himself and Mr. Nimbus. Despite Morty's attempts to get out of it, Rick assigns him to be "booze guy" for the dinner as he leaves a few crates of wine in a "Narnia-like Dimension" as Mr. Nimbus prefers his wine aged to a few centuries. Mr. Nimbus arrives and controls the police to do random things after Jerry tries to call them to get him out of the house. Jessica arrives shortly after and is hurriedly rushed to the living room by Morty and gets her to choose anything she wants from the TV while he deals with Mr. Nimbus' demands for wine. Back at the Narnia Dimension, he encounters a couple who kept the wine safe for a few decades and give him love advice for his date with Jessica. However, once he returns, Mr. Nimbus consumes them both in a split second and orders Morty to get more, to his dismay. He goes back, only to find the deranged son of the couple he met just a few minutes earlier trying to kill him for the murder of his parents. Morty briefly leaves to regain his composure before returning, and kills the couple's now elderly son in front of his children. Realizing he told them the truth, they apologize to him shortly before dying of his wounds, and made a blood oath to kill Morty should he return.
As time goes by, the farm evolves into a fortress and then the fortress into a castle, with all of its inhabitants bent on killing Morty. They believe they accomplish this when he returns for more wine and they open fire on him forcing him to retreat. Fed up with all these setbacks, Morty equips himself with every weapon and armor he can get and massacres the entire castle of its inhabitants in a fit of rage. He finds the remainder of the wine and heads back, unaware that he left his levitation glove behind for a group of survivors to pick up.
Finally done with all that, Morty gives all the wine to Mr. Nimbus, save for one bottle, which he smuggles to the living room for himself and Jessica to share. He tries to apologize for making her wait, but she ignores all that and kisses him. Before this can progress any further, they decide to drink up the wine and find a bottle opener, but Rick tries to drag him away to be a witness to the "contract" that he and Nimbus are making. At the same time a dog-horse specimen named Adam (who is the son of the woman who found Morty's levitation glove in the ruins of the castle following its destruction at Morty's hands) dons a power suit, opens a portal and arrives in the kitchen with the intent to kill Morty. Despite his best efforts (and after being distracted by Mr. Nimbus), he is defeated by Jessica, who after finding the bottle opener, uses it to stab the tube connected to his suit. This causes his suit to implode (following a brief vision where Adam encounters a giant owl-like creature) and in turn, causes the tube to sever, flail and connect with the bottle opener which Jessica continued to hold in her left hand and consequently, sucks Jessica head first into the Narnia Dimension as it returns to it's point of origin.
Meanwhile, Rick and Mr. Nimbus fight over terms when Rick snaps and yells at Mr. Nimbus, claiming he doesn't need anyone or him to make him feel better, though Nimbus suggests that he's turned into a hollow shell of himself because of Diane, causing Rick to strangle him. Meanwhile, Morty is tricked by robots into capture and sees Jessica, seemingly unconscious, encased in a crystal above him. While the scientist robot monologues as to why the society before them picked him for petty vengeance, Morty is able to break free of his restraints and free Jessica in the process. On the way back, they're surrounded by robots. Rick sees Morty and Jessica struggling to break free from a robotic tentacle and attempts to rescue them just to get rid of Mr. Nimbus, but he is dragged into the dimension as well and his weapons are stripped from him, forcing him to run into an enclosure with Morty and Jessica. Just as it all seemed lost, a huge wave of water along with an army of sea creatures rushes in and engulfs the entire dimension. It's revealed that Mr. Nimbus had secretly followed Rick and rescued him from the robots, causing Rick to reconcile with him.
Back at the residence, Rick and Mr. Nimbus have started to get along well when Summer returns with a conch shell she acquired from fighting deep-sea creatures in the Mariana Trench, completely ruining their relationship once again, and Mr. Nimbus beats up Rick before controlling the police to arrest him. At the same time, Jessica, who unfortunately, is revealed to have actually been fully conscious for the centuries of time she spent in the crystal, has opened up to time and begins to philosophically rant to herself before calling off the date with Morty, saying they should just be friends. As she walks into the night, she flips off a nearby driver and declares herself to be a time god.
Afterwards, Beth and Jerry head to Mr. Nimbus' place to take up an offer to a threesome with him after seeing his approval of them as a "progressive couple" earlier. They start to have some doubts on pulling through with it until Mr. Nimbus opens the door, and the couple sheepishly dive into his arms.
- Narnia Dimension inhabitants (debut)
- Reality devouring monster
- Nimbus's Starfish Assistant (debut)
- Nimbus's Squid (debut)
- Time Bird (debut)
- Dr. Wong (mentioned)
- Gaia (indirectly mentioned)
- Diane Sanchez (mentioned)
- Multiple Narnia Dimension inhabitants
- Nimbus's squid
- Shark octopus dolphin and hammerhead people
- Many alternate versions of Rick and Morty and people that live in their alternate universe
- Replacement dimension
- Narnia Dimension
- This is the first episode to air in 2021.
- In celebration of Season 5, Pocket Mortys' weekly updates will coincide with new episodes, including new avatars for players to collect. With the release of this episode came Mr. Nimbus as an avatar, plus Wine Boy Morty and Gardener Morty to catch.
- The full episode was released on YouTube by Adult Swim on the day of the premiere, but it has since been locked from regions outside of America.
- This is the most screen time Jessica has received in a single episode.
- This is also one of the few episodes in which Rick or Morty never use the portal gun.
- This is the first time Rick is called Richard, revealing this as his first name.
- The crystal Jessica gets frozen in is very similar to a crystal we see a random Morty frozen in in "Tales From the Citadel" episode, when Candidate Morty is being discussed by the News Anchor Ricks.
- Some of the crystals in the cold open display scenes from earlier episodes such as "Lawnmower Dog", "M. Night Shaym-Aliens!", "Rick Potion No. 9", and "Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind".
- A scene from "The Real Animated Adventures of Doc and Mharti", the short that inspired Rick and Morty, can be seen on a crystal.
- Beth and Jerry have continued their sessions with Dr. Wong, last seen in "Star Mort Rickturn of the Jerri", who encouraged them to be more sex-positive.
- The crack around the Smith house from "Ricksy Business" and "A Rickle in Time" is still visible.
- Upon meeting Mr. Nimbus, Jerry remarks, "I've seen you fuck a planet, and this is the guy you're afraid of?" referencing the events of "Childrick of Mort".
- Mr. Nimbus remarks, in reference to Morty, that he liked Rick's "other one" Kyle more. Morty starts to inquire but is brushed aside by Rick.
- When Rick asks "Why does everyone go cyberpunk bird?" this is a likely reference to the previous episode, "Star Mort Rickturn of the Jerri", in which he fought Phoenixperson, who also fits under this category.
- Mr. Nimbus starts talking about how if "Diane" were still alive she would be disappointed with what Rick has become. Rick desperately tries to stop him from establishing a "canonical backstory." This is a reference to Rick's "totally fabricated backstory" from "The Rickshank Rickdemption", which included an ambiguous portrayal of Rick's supposed former wife, Diane, as well as likely confirming the long hinted-at information that Diane was the name of Rick's wife and Beth's mother, and that she is now deceased.
- Mr. Nimbus hails from Atlantis. He and Rick get into an argument about Rick having sex with a mermaid, an event that occurred offscreen in "Tales From the Citadel".
- Morty asks Jessica if she wants to watch some Interdimensional Cable, last seen in "Morty's Mind Blowers".
- Morty references the Tickets Please Guy from "Never Ricking Morty" when he asks why all old people are so buff.
- This episode marks the second time Morty has killed several people in order to be with Jessica, the first time being the Season Four premiere.
- The episode's title is a reference to the film My Dinner with Andre.
- One version of Rick and Morty shown in a crystal during the cold opening are dressed as the Marvel character Blade and shown killing vampires. Rick directly references the character upon seeing this.
- Mr. Nimbus is a satire of both the DC Comics hero Aquaman and the Marvel Comics hero Namor.
- The appearance of Mr. Nimbus also resembles the Deep Sea King from One Punch Man.
- The dimension Morty goes to in order to get the wine references The Chronicles of Narnia with its medieval setting and time moving much faster there.
- An Interdimensional Cable show is called "Nintendo 69", which is a reference to the videogame console, Nintendo 64.
- When Hoovy finds the bones of his wife in the chair and his insane son, it's a reference to Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.
- Rick mentions the show, "Frasier", when yelling at Beth and Jerry.
- Jessica's pink crystal prison in the Narnia dimension resembles Zelda's crystal prison in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- Adam's character trains in the gym, the style matches the one in the 90's X-men series. This was also one of the references that Jeff Loveness mentioned on Twitter.
- The Time Bird is a reference to the Cosmic Owl from Adventure Time.
View a full transcript of this episode here.