- For the Kirkland-brand knockoff see Mr. Meeseeks (Kirkland)
- “I'm Mr. Meeseeks! Look at me!”
- —Mr. Meeseeks' catchphrase[src]
Mr. Meeseeks (voiced by Justin Roiland) is the name of all the Meeseeks summoned by activating a Mr. Meeseeks Box. The Meeseeks appear in the fifth episode of the first season, "Meeseeks and Destroy" as the main antagonists. They are known to inhabit planets across the universe.
Meeseeks are creatures who are created to serve a singular purpose for which they will go to any length to fulfill. After they serve their purpose, they expire and vanish into the air. Their motivation to help others comes from the fact that existence is painful to a Meeseeks, and the only way to be removed from existence is to complete the task they were called to perform. Physical violence or damage cannot eliminate them, with multiple Meeseeks in the episode sustaining severe head trauma (to the point of having entire sections of their heads caved in and their eyes popping out of their sockets) or bodily mutilation (limbs ripped off, bones broken, multiple lacerations, strangulation, severe blunt force trauma) while still being fully conscious and physically functioning. The first Meeseeks spawned attributed this invulnerability to their being unable to die until their purpose is fulfilled, whether this means it is completely, physically impossible to kill a Meeseeks or whether they simply didn't have the means on Earth to cause enough damage to their bodies that there wouldn't be anything left to function is unclear.
They typically live for no more than a few hours, and thus two days is an eternity for Meeseeks. The longer the Meeseeks stay alive, the more sanity they begin to lose. Rick warns the Smith family to keep their tasks simple.
If a Meeseeks is not given a purpose at the beginning of its existence it seems to default to taking the purpose of the Meeseeks before it. This is seen when a Meeseeks created for Jerry created another Meeseeks then ordered it to kill another Meeseeks it was in argument with which the resultant Meeseeks attempted to avail. The Meeseeks then wildly began pressing the box without giving orders and all the resulting Meeseeks began trying in vain to kill the rest of the Meeseeks. Additionally, a Meeseeks can be persuaded to shift their purpose, as seen when the Meeseeks who were purposed to either help Jerry or kill the other Meeseeks were convinced by one to find and kill Jerry.
Mr. Meeseeks is a tall, powder-blue humanoid figure with elongated, narrow limbs. He has a large, bulbous head, beady black eyes, and a giant mouth that stretches all the way across his face. He has a very high pitched and strident voice, sometimes intoning in screeches. Some versions of him have one or more small patches of orange hair on their head.
On the cover of the Oni Exclusive cover of Rick and Morty Volume 6, you can see the inside of a Mr. Meeseeks.
- “We Meeseeks are not born into this world fumbling for meaning, Jerry! We are created to serve a singular purpose for which we will go to any lengths to fufill! Existence is pain to a Meeseeks, Jerry! And we will do anything to alleviate that pain!”
- —Mr. Meeseeks after going mad[src]
Mr. Meeseeks exhibits a friendly, cheerful, and helpful demeanor; willing to assist the one who brought him into existence, however possible. Ideally, Mr. Meeseeks will dispatch the simple task given to him, and disappear shortly after its completion. However, if given a task that is outside of Mr. Meeseeks' capabilities, he will not be able to cease existing. This unusual lifespan will cause Mr. Meeseeks' attitude and mental state to worsen dramatically; the relatively long and tortuous existence quickly driving him to violent behavior and outright insanity. Meeseeks who have been spawned in tandem are seen to distrust and attack one another as their sanity decays, although they will continue to attempt any possible solution to their original purpose, including collaboration with other Meeseeks. The psychological and physical (discoloration of skin, hair growth) symptoms of existence upon Meeseeks can manifest in less than 24 hours. According to Jerry's original Mr. Meeseeks, two days is "an eternity" in Meeseeks time.
- "Mortynight Run" (Cameo)
- "Morty's Mind Blowers" (Cameo)
- "Look at me!" and "I'm Mr. Meeseeks" are two lines each Meeseeks repeat almost every time they start or end a sentence.
- As Meeseeks begin to age, their appearance becomes more and more rugged with spotty body hair and patches of darker blue that appear like stains.
- In the unlikely, but possible, event that a Meeseeks cannot help complete the task assigned, he will, in time, go mad and resort to drastic measures to carry out his assignment (even if it means resorting to violence and killing the person he is helping).
- It's possible for a Meeseeks to summon another Meeseeks and give it orders. One Meeseeks was even observed summoning multiple Meeseeks at once without issuing a vocal command.
- The original concept for Mr. Meeseeks was a neon taupe. However, the concept did not resonate well with viewers.
- A Mr. Meeseeks made a small cameo in "Mortynight Run", giving someone gaming tips at Blips and Chitz. Once the player wins the game, the Meeseeks vanishes.
- In the Japanese dub for Rick and Morty the Meeseeks are voiced by a woman.
- Mr. Meeseeks' blood is pure white.
- The sheer amount of damage sustained by the Meeseeks in Meeseeks and Destroy and its futility suggest either that Meeseeks are incredibly resistant to damage, or that they are kept alive and conscious through external means, such as by their box.
- When the Meeseeks turned on each other, several were spawned using the box and given the purpose of killing the other Meeseeks. Despite this being an impossible task, they were all eliminated at the same time as all the other Meeseeks (barr the Stickler Meeseeks) when Jerry fulfills the golf game Meeseeks' purposes. It is likely that the killer Meeseeks' purposes were fulfilled by them assisting the golf game Meeseeks into attempting to kill Jerry, and subsequently were eliminated when their targets themselves, were eliminated and technically killed.
- It is conceptually possible to keep a Meeseeks alive indefinitely by giving them an impossible or at least extremely difficult task. Seeing the mental damage two days of existence did to Jerry's Meeseeks, it is quite likely the Meeseeks would rapidly go insane and attempt to circumvent its task by finding a loophole or going to such extreme means that they actually fulfill the task (such as eradicating the common cold by destroying the Earth).
- Dan Harmon has stated that he will force Mr. Meeseeks into season 3; this can be seen in "Morty's Mind Blowers".
- The concept was likely based on an episode of Doc and Mharti about a comic book series called Scud: the Disposable Assassin. It's about Scud robots, which one can hire to kill someone. After the person is killed, the Scud robots self-destruct.
- ↑ https://prison.galacticfederation.com/prisoners/CG-9990-I
- ↑ https://prison.galacticfederation.com/prisoners/SU-5002-I