- “Rick Sanchez! You psycho bag of squanch!”
- —Squanchy to Rick[src]
Squanchy is a cat-like anthropomorphic creature that was invited to Rick and Summer's party in "Ricksy Business". He is a recurring character in Rick and Morty, and very good friends with Rick, sharing his love for alcohol. Morty and Jessica first meet Squanchy engaging in auto-erotic asphyxiation masturbation in Morty's garage. This marks the first among many things he refers to as "squanching."
In "The Wedding Squanchers", after Tammy reveals herself as a deep cover agent for the Galactic Federation and the wedding reception is ambushed by Gromflomites, Squanchy tells Rick to save his family and get out of there before pulling out one of his teeth and breaking it in half to consume a green liquid substance, which subsequently turns him into a giant version of himself with superhuman strength and endurance. At the end of the episode it is hinted to that Squanchy may have died in the fight against the Gromflamites when Rick drops the photo of Birdperson, Squanchy and himself. This hint is reinforced in the post credits scene of "The Rickshank Rickdemption" when Tammy is revealed to be alive and unharmed as Squanchy was last seen fighting her.
However, when Rick is mining Death Crystals in Edge of Tomorty: Rick Die Rickpeat, one of his possible deaths is being ripped in half by Squanchy. This future would only be a possibility if Squanchy survived his fight with Tammy. Despite this, Squanchy's ultimate fate is still left uncertain.
Squanchy is a short orange cat-person with a tiny blue nose, a dark brown goatee, messy fur and whiskers. He has a naked tail with a brown tuft of hair on its tip. When he drinks the green liquid from his tooth, he becomes a big, muscular cat-person with green eyes, a larger beard, vast tufts of hair on his giant shoulders, black claws, and sharper teeth.
Even though Squanchy is only show-cased in 2 episodes, he appears to a good friend of Rick's. Personality-wise, he is a party animal who behaves very wildly.
Squanchy has a knack for masturbating - or "squanching" as he puts it - crashing parties as seen in "Ricksy Business" where he redirects Rick's party to his place after the party's over, and drinking alcohol (as he is seen carrying the beverage around).
He is also a very loyal friend of Rick and Birdperson, as when the Galactic Federation crashes Birdperson's wedding and winds up brutally injuring Birdperson, he tells Rick and his family to escape while he fights the federation off. This proves his loyalty to his friends.
Squanchy also has a habit to replace most of his verbs with the term "squanch" as it is native to his species' dialect, much like how the Smurfs say "smurf" instead of certain words. Beth draws this comparison upon meeting him for the first time at Birdperson's wedding.
- "Edge of Tomorty: Rick Die Rickpeat" (Vision)
- Squanchy replaces most of his verbs with a variation of "squanch", which is similar to the way Smurfs replace various words with the "smurf" in the eponymous cartoon series.
- Squanchy played the drums in a band with Rick and Birdperson, called The Flesh Curtains.
- Squanchy makes a cameo in an issue of the Rick and Morty comics spying on a couple making out in the forest.
- Squanchy bears a striking resemblance to the character Smarf from another Adult Swim program Too Many Cooks, an 11-minute short that went viral during an Adult Swim "Infomercials" block in 2014. This character, in turn, seems to be a parody of Snarf, a character on the 1980s cartoon ThunderCats.
- Squanchy appears in Edge of Tomorty: Rick Die Rickpeat in a vision of one of Ricks possible deaths.