- “You f***ed with squirrels, Morty! We've got a good five minutes before they're back and up on our ass, Morty! We have to pack up and move to a new reality, Morty!”
- —Rick telling Morty about squirrels[src]
Squirrels are rodents that live on the planet Earth. Though they look like regular animals, they are actually a secret worldwide government, deciding all big events and decisions to be made.
In "Morty's Mind Blowers", Morty tries on an animal translator. He encounters several animals, but then he hears the squirrels talking about world politics. The squirrels realize Morty can hear them and they start following him, with more and more squirrels joining in. Eventually they follow him home, where Rick is able to temporarily neutralize the army of squirrels. The two then pack up their stuff and move to a new dimension to escape the squirrels.
- The squirrels could be heard making a number of references:
- Staging a coup d'état in Argentina, similar to Guatemala; the CIA staged a coup in Guatemala in 1954 and several more since in Central and South America.
- Picking a new pope in case the Exxon/Monsanto-thing falls through in Africa; ExxonMobil is an oil and gas company and Monsanto is an agrochemical corporation.
- Use chemtrails to put a canopy on Uganda; there are conspiracy theories that the white cloud trails from aeroplanes are chemicals released into the air.
- Run a 199 on a possible Dolittle; Dr. Dolittle is a 1998 film about a man who can talk to animals.